From WinCustomize Wiki
About the Site
The goal of this site is to act as a general skin site to the community. There are hundreds of skinnable applications on the net. WinCustomize, however, strives to offer content for some of the most popular ones. It is also designed as an entry point for new users into the wonderful world of skinning. Click on the community link and you will find links to a host of skin sites, programs, and other interesting customization software sites. Through WinCustomize, you should be able to download skins and themes and icons that will let you customize every part of the Windows operating system.
WinCustomize Access Classes
This is a user who was banned. We do not delete accounts, we exile them. Exiled users cannot do anything on the site other than download files. They can only download skins that have been rated at 7 or above.
This is a non-registered user. They can only download. They can only download skins that have been rated at 7 or above.
This is a registered user. 99% of users are going to be Citizens. A citizen is a member of the community. They can submit skins, download and talk on the message board. Citizens can modify their preferences to display skins of any rating or above. The honorific "Citizen" is appended in front of their name.
A citizen user who has submitted skins can be nominated to be promoted to an Apprentice. To become an apprentice one needs to be contributing to the skinning community in some way. WinCustomize is not the skinning community, helping other websites in the skinning community counts as well. The honorific "Sir" or "Lady" is appended to the front of their name. There is also a Master Apprentice rank for those right on the verge of becoming Journeymen.
A handful of "super-citizens" will be at this class. These are people who are significant contributors to the community. The honorific "Sir" or "Lady" is appended to the front of their name. If you're a journeyman, then you are one biggest contributors to WinCustomize.com. The difference between a Journeyman and an Apprentice is that a Journeyman is contributing significantly to WinCustomize in particular as well as the skinning community in general. A Journeymen's skin is automatically made available upon uploading. It does not have to go through moderation first. As a result, only the most trusted users will become Journeymen because of this power. They also have the ability to post news items to the front page of WinCustomize.com
These are the "elders" of the skinning community. People who have been around for awhile. Only a few people will be at this class. To be a Master, not only must the user be a significant contributor to the community, but instrumental to the day to day life of WinCustomize. A Master can do everything a Journeyman can do plus they can nominate and vote on users to be promoted. The honorific "Master" is placed in front of their name A master has to think of WinCustomize as their home skin website.
Master users will also be able to sell their work through the WinCustomize store.
Compuserve has "Wizops", we decided to call our moderators Wizops too. Wizops can do what Masters can do plus add/delete news items, moderate skins. One can only become a Moderator by a 3/4ths majority vote of the Admins. The honorific Wizop is placed in front of a Wizop. A Moderator has the ability to authorize the promotion of a citizen to an apprentice.
Admins are the administrators. There will be 7 Administrators total: Frogboy, T-Man, Zoomba, MikeB314, KarmaGirl, Yarlen, and Jafo. Any of them have the ability to promote a user up to a Journeyman. Only a majority approval can promote someone to a Master and only 3/4ths to a Wizop. Zoomba and Jafo will run WinCustomize on a day to day basis. The others will provide additional help and resources. You want something changed or done, Zoomba and Jafo are the ones to talk to. They have the ability to make many changes as long as it doesn't violate the covenant. Only 7 Admins will be active at a given time. If one person should leave, another person will be promoted from the community.
Moderation & Site Administration
This site is a community site. As such, we expect users to behave with honor and integrity. Treat the person you post to or comment on a skin to as if they are sitting next to you. Picture this place as a nice, comfortable resort surrounded by friends.
More specifically, our rules have to be about the handling of intellectual property. This site carries intellectual property in the form of skins, themes, icons, and wallpapers. Intellectual property, be it software, music, books, or skins/themes is like any other type of property. When you upload something, you are agreeing to the guidelines set below:
- Ownership: You own the materials you upload. This cuts both ways, we assume you made what you uploaded and we will not sell your property without your permission. You must not only own what you submit but the subcomponents of it unless you have permission from the owners of the property you are submitting. For instance, DesktopX objects are designed to be used in other people's themes. It is assumed that when you upload a DesktopX object that you are giving permission to others to use them in their themes and they can therefore upload a theme that includes your DesktopX object without permission.
- If you upload something that is owned by someone else or contains materials owned by someone else, we have the right to delete that item without notification. For instance, if you upload a wallpaper with the Lord of the Rings logo and the owners of that logo come to us and request we remove it, we will do so. Or if you upload a WindowBlinds skin, of some operating system, and the OS vendor requests we remove it, we will do so.
- License to WinCustomize.com: When you upload something to us, you are giving us the permission, within reason, to display your property for the promotion of this site as well as allowing us to distribute your property to others (i.e. the whole reason to upload your skin in the first place).
- The site is free. We don't charge you to store your property and you don't charge us to display your property.
- Liability - we are not liable for the contents of the site. We will do our best to keep the site's integrity intact but ultimately when you upload something, the responsibility is on you that you're uploading materials you own.
- Guidelines - For additional guidelines please click here to read up on suggestions that our moderators have put together.
WinCustomize was launched in March 2001 by Brad Wardell & Pat Ford of Stardock. The site was launched in reaction to the dot-com crash and the loss of many popular skinning sites and grew quickly in popularity in part due to the wide variety of content provided, reliability & site performance, as well as being the main destination for content for Stardock's customization applications.
The site has steadily grown in popularity, now serving up over 35 million pages per month. This growth has prompted several site redesigns to offer improved functionality and reliability to users. Since launch, WinCustomize has undergone several iterations:
- WinCustomize 2k5 - Launched at the end of 2004, WinCustomize was redesigned for improved stability, and added functionality (personal pages for subscribers, an articles system, tutorials etc).
- WinCustomize 2k7 - Launched January 15th, 2007, WC2k7 was a from-the-ground-up rewrite using ASP.Net. The focus was to build a foundation that was easier to maintain and, in the future, expand. Stability and site response-times were dramatically improved.
- WinCustomize 2k8 - Planned for Late 2007/Early 2008, the WC2k8 project aims be a major revision to how users navigate and interact with the site and the community as a whole. Where 2k7 was focused on the core codebase, 2k8 is focused on the user interface and experience.
WinCustomize is currently the largest skinning site on the Internet.
Popular Skinning Galleries
Information about most popular libraries at the site
- Frogboy - The Big Kahuna. CEO of Stardock, owner of all you see here.
- KarmaGirl - Stardock VP of Operations.
- T-Man - Original main coder behind WinCustomize
- Zoomba - Web Czar. Administrator for Stardock sites.
- Jafo - The guy in charge of the WinCustomize Community.
- Fuzzy Logic
- Snidely Whiplash