From WinCustomize Wiki
About The WinCustomize Wiki
WinCustomize.com has long been one of the major players in the Windows customization scene. For 6 years now, we have worked to provide a home for digital artists looking to share their work, and regular users eager to find the latest and greatest skin, icon, cursor, gadget etc. that is inviting, supportive and above all else, helpful.
Stardock, being the principle owner and host of WinCustomize, in recent months has recognized certain failings on its part to properly support the community, specifically in the area of product documentation and other help resources. To that end, this wiki was born.
The strength of the customization community has always been in its members and their amazing willingness to help others. Veteran skinners, icon artists, gadget makers and other digital artists have always taken time to step in and help fledgling customization artists in the right direction. However, as the community grows and time passes, it has become harder and harder to help everyone who needs help, as well as the fact that eventually, skinners do move on. We have already lost a great deal of invaluable knowledge as veterans of the early days of skinning have left for other hobbies and pursuits.
This wiki is meant to become a centralized, and enduring repository for all knowledge related to skinning, the skinning community, its history and possibly where it is going. Anyone can contribute in any way they feel capable.
Staff & Administration
Below are a list of our friendly neighborhood Wiki moderators and admins. These are the folks you can come to regarding any issues you're seeing with the wiki, be they technical or content-related. All decisions made by wiki administration are final.
Want to Contribute?
So you want to contribute to the wiki? That's great! However, before you can contribute, you need to sign-up for an account and go through a simple email verification process. Once you have an account, you're good to go and can edit/write until you drop.
If you are going to edit an article, or create a new one yourself, we ask that you try and keep it informational and free of personal opinions. Think of this as writing an academic paper for school, where it's all about presenting the information clearly and fairly, with proper citations (yes, citations are good!)
Be sure to check out the Software Page Template if you decide to create a new software page (just copy the code and paste it into your new page), it'll help get you started. There is also a How to Add a New Page article that gives a brief overview of Wiki formatting, as well as a Tutorial Template that will help you when adding your own tutorials.
Ownership & Policy
This site is owned and operated by Stardock, the principle owner and maintainer of WinCustomize.com, and developer of a large number of Windows customization tools and utilities (see Object Desktop). While there may appear to be a bias of information towards Stardock products, that is only because they are the tools we have the most immediate knowledge of. This wiki, its contents and moderation, are intended to be vendor neutral and we welcome other developers of customization software to join us and fill in information and provide documentation/tutorials for their own tools.
While we will strive to remain fair and unbiased, we will not accept the following behaviors:
- Malicious Edits
- Any edit intended to deface an article, demean another person, race, gender, company or product, or any attempt to bias the information in a particular direction. Wiki articles are not a place to pursue an agenda or push opinion. Opinions and thoughts on products, companies, sites, skins, tutorials etc. can be expressed on the discussion page accompanying any article.
- Attempts to spam this wiki with links to unrelated services, products, or via link bombs will not be tolerated. Any spam found on the wiki will be removed, and the offending account banned.
- Advertising Products or Services
- There is a difference between writing an informational article on a skinning product and trying to use a wiki article to advertise. Articles that are deemed to be more "marketing" than "information" will be reviewed, edited or removed at the discretion of moderators and administrators. No direct links to purchase software will be allowed on any article, or in any discussion area.
- Posting Pornographic or Illegal Content
- We will not allow or tolerate the use of this wiki to host or display any content that is either pornographic or illegal in nature. This site adheres to the same PG-13 policies as WinCustomize.